Re: Identify included files

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Identify included files
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 10:30:20 -0500

On Mon 18 May 2020 at 10:29:22 (-0400), Fr. Samuel Springuel wrote:
> > On 18 May, 2020, at 9:37 AM, antlists <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > define trombone-notes.ly as a target, define it as changed if its
> > dependencies change, and say "it doesn't exist as a file that can be
> > created with a command".
>
> Right, that’s the step I’m trying to automate.  Make itself cannot determine
> the list of prerequisites.  You either need to do that manually (a real pain)
> or provide a tool that can examine a file, determine what its prerequisites
> are and then write them out in a way that make understands.
>
> From the manual for GNU Make:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Automatic-Prerequisites.html#Automatic-Prerequisites
>
> The example there uses the -M flag for a C compiler.  I’m looking to come up
> with an equivalent for LilyPond.

If you were compiling a C program foo.c into an executable, what you
would be trying to avoid is recompiling fnbar.c into fnbar.o over
and over again (and all of its similar companions).

Can you explain which of your files are the equivalents of fnbar.o.
(In python, for another example, they'd be your *.pyc files, and
python looks after all this housekeeping itself.)

Cheers,
David.