Re: Identify included files

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Identify included files
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 19:49:52 -0500

On Mon 18 May 2020 at 14:32:31 (-0400), Fr. Samuel Springuel wrote:
> > On 18 May, 2020, at 11:30 AM, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > If you were compiling a C program foo.c into an executable, what you
> > would be trying to avoid is recompiling fnbar.c into fnbar.o over
> > and over again (and all of its similar companions).
> >
> > Can you explain which of your files are the equivalents of fnbar.o.
> > (In python, for another example, they'd be your *.pyc files, and
> > python looks after all this housekeeping itself.)
>
> As I see it, the filetype equivalencies roughly map as this:
>
> .ily -> .h
> .ly -> .c
> .pdf -> .o

So the final output is constructed¹ from several PDF files, and these
are what you don't want to recompile each time the constructing takes
place. So what program(s) are you using to construct the final output?

I don't understand your equivalence between .ily and .h files. The
.ily file(s) can contain just as much code as the .ly file(s), whereas
.h files don't contain any code at all (in the sense of producing
executable code for the next stage.

So I'm unable to see which files you avoid compiling, and in what form
their compiled derivatives are stored between runs.

> To this I would also add one more file type for storing dependency information
> .dly -> .d

¹ I've avoided the word assemble for obvious reasons.

Cheers,
David.