Re: registering a composition

From: Gilles Sadowski
Subject: Re: registering a composition
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 14:26:42 +0200

Hi.

Le jeu. 21 mai 2020 à 19:57, Francesco Petrogalli
<address@hidden> a écrit :

> OK, thank you all for the kind reply.
>
> Here is my understanding, just double cheking with you guys is my
> reasoning is right.

I can't follow the whole reasoning (see below), but the conclusion
seems nevertheless utterly unfair.

> Step 1: secure the copyright of the PDF of the composition.
> I am tempted to say that this is already done by the fact that I have
> stored all commits of the development of the PDF via lilypond in a
> private repo on bitbucket.org. If the originality of the piece will
> ever be challenged, all I need to do it either make the private repo a
> public repo, or, if bitbucket dies by the time someone challenges the
> originality, I just need to show the git repository I have stored in a
> second secure place.
>
> To make it even more safer than that, I can register the copyright either
> with:
>
> 1. the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress (online)
> 2. copyright.co.uk
> 3. https://www.costozero.org/
> 4. patamu.com
>
> I have a slight preference for patamu.com, it seems quite easy and
> fully online, it also has international validity, the other options
> seems to be country-specific.
>
> Step 2: register to a PRO to secure the royalties (even if no
> royalties will ever come to me).
>
> I can register to ASCAP or BMI, as an individual who is both the
> composer and the publisher. It doesn't matter whether I upload the PDF
> or not, the royalties will be collected on the name of the song and
> the author/publisher, if someone will ever play it. If ASCAP / BMI
> will ask for a copy/link of the work, I can always upload the PDF or
> link an upload in, say, soundcloud, of the wave file generated from
> the midi.
>
> Then, say that the band I am giving this piece will decide to produce
> a recording, they will register their recording on their favorite PRO,
> simply saying that they are the publisher and that I am the writer.
>
> Step 3: publish the PDF on the internet
>
> When the prior steps are done, I can safely upload the PDF on my
> personal website, for anyone to download. I just have to make sure
> that I mark it saying "Copyright (C) 2020 by Francesco Petrogalli
> (ASCAP). All rights reserved."
>
> Thank so much for all the useful help! I just want to add a bit of
> background in case there are some details that might change the way I
> should do this.
>
> 1. I am a software engineer working on open source code. In the spirit
> of open source, I initially wanted to use a CC-BY license on the work,
> then I read this and completely changed my mind.
> https://www.ascap.com/playback/2007/FALL/FEATURES/creative_commons_licensing,

This link is not viewable unless one accepts this site's advertizing
and targeting cookies.
So please lay out why you changed your mind about CC.

> which somehow seems to contradict
> https://creativecommons.org/2010/06/30/response-to-ascaps-deceptive-claims/.
> I would have loved to use a CC license that would have guaranteed my
> royalties via ASCAP, but ASCAP doesn't seem to be happy about this
> license so I will not use it.

IIUC, CC licences aim to protect against others making money from
your work.  How is "ASCAP not being happy" related to that?

As a comparison, proprietary software publishers can be unhappy
about FLOSS, and FUD campaigns follow.  Would that make you
stop "working on open source code"?

> 2. The song has been written with my 7yo son. He is mentioned in the
> PDF as a co-author, but I don't think I can mention it as one of the
> authors in ASCAP because ASCAP requires to certify "you are 18yo or
> older" when registering. I will anyway publish a video on youtube of
> the "improvisation session" in which he came up with the melody. This
> plus the authorship claim in the PDF will hopefully secure his part of
> the copyright.
>
> Again, thank you for the help, this is being painful and interesting
> at the same time :)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Francesco
>
> PS: lilypond rocks! :)

Unless I'm mistaken, LilyPond (GNU) and CC belong to the "eco-system"
where sharing is the norm (to enhance the common cultural pool) while
making it hard for "free-riders".  Using the tools offered by that alternate
system, and then bow to the arguments of those who smear it seems a
contradiction.

Regards,
Gilles