Re: registering a composition

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: registering a composition
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 12:59:59 +0200

Wols Lists <address@hidden> writes:

> On 24/05/20 01:08, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> Actually, GNU allows charging for the software.  From the Preamble to the
>> GNU GPL:
>>
>> "When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
>> price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that
>> you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and
>> charge for them if you wish)"
>
> You have freedom to charge for the SERVICE of DISTRIBUTING the software
> (which I said :-), not the freedom of charging for the software itself.

That is like saying I can charge for the service of distributing the
contents of a book, not for the contents themselves.

What is the "contents themselves" without a means of dissemination, a
medium?

> Yes, I know I'm being pedantic, but when you're dealing with the law
> pedanticism matters :-)
>
> (GPL v2 contains some bugs, and some people actively exploit those bugs
> as features ...)

A license does not contain "bugs".  Pedanticism does not mean using
words with a different meaning than anybody else.  It means using them
more carefully according to their agreed-upon meaning.

--
David Kastrup