Re: Mac OS X Catalina 64-bit compile ?

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Mac OS X Catalina 64-bit compile ?
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 12:41:25 +0200

Hi Carl,

When I go to: https://bintray.com/marnen/lilypond-darwin-64 I see three(3) builds/packages (2.19.83, 2.18.2 and 2.20.0), each with a link to a tar.gz file. Downloading, unpacking and dowloading each gives me a LilyPond.app directory with the usual files underneath it. Running this .app file is caught by the Apple security check, so I lowered my defenses temporarily by allowing this app to proceed. Btw, bottomline it downloads it from cloudfront.net. I can only assume this is safe (-(|..
(It would be nice to have a sha checksum so I can test that file indeed to be what marnen produced originally.)

Running from the Mac Applications folder then works, the example-file does a typeset, I will test more later on.

Running it as a command-line program (for make or any script wanting to compile a set of music) is yet another problem, it complains about the Python Info.plist being badly formatted, it doesn't produce the minimum "--version" output but hangs in that. Have to look into that later also... Convert.ly --version seems to run though.

But when I then browse around a little bit to get some feeling of what this platform is, whether it is something I could use, I see a button "Pricing" ($150/month?, Open Source registration in the bottom), "Sign in", "Start your free trial", etc. That gets me feel a little uncomfortable. Is this wrapping everything, where will we end?

Regards,
Wim.