Re: Lilypond PDF links in TexShop (Mac OS)

From: Michael Seifert
Subject: Re: Lilypond PDF links in TexShop (Mac OS)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 13:50:52 -0400

So I’ve made progress here, mainly because Jacques asked me how to get the
LilyPond Engine installed in TeXShop, which prompted me to go back and
RTFreadme.

Inside the TeXShop Package (Contents>Resources>TeXShop>Engines) there is an
“Inactive” directory.  If you look inside there, you’ll see a
LilyPondEngines-2.1.0b directory, with LilyPond.engine and LilyPond-Book.engine
inside.  Move those from the Inactive directory up to the Engines directory,
restart TeXShop, and you’ll have LilyPond and LilyPond-Book alongside all of
your other engines in TeXShop (LaTeX, XeTeX, BibTeX, etc.)

Also inside that LilyPond engines directory is a README.txt file, which
actually has instructions on how to enable point-and-click!  (Federico, take
note.)  I’ll just copy and paste the instructions here:

1. Install the SwiftDefaultApps pref pane from
https://github.com/Lord-Kamina/SwiftDefaultApps
2. Open GotoTeXShop.applescript in Script Editor. [also included in the
LilyPond engines directory]
3. Go to File > Export…
4. Choose Application as the File Format.
5. Save GotoTeXShop.app.
6. Go to the SwiftDefaultApps pref pane and choose GotoTeXShop.app as the
   handler for textedit URI Schemes.

I did all of this, and now at least a signal is being sent to TeXShop, because
TeXShop responds with

        "The document “Test_code.ly” could not be opened. The file doesn’t
exist.”

I suspect this is because I have a space in my username (unintentionally, long
story) and in the directory path.  These are rendered as %20 in the textedit
URIs, but which TeXShop/AppleScript expects to be escaped spaces.  I’ll try
changing my username & renaming the problematic directories later this evening,
and I'll see if that makes a difference.

        (Also, if I’m reading the provided AppleScript correctly, it looks like
TeXShop will go to the correct line, but not the correct character.  That’s
still fairly helpful, though.)

        Mike