A work-in-progress guide to extending LilyPond

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: A work-in-progress guide to extending LilyPond
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 21:37:51 +0200

Hi,

A frequent complaint on this list is the lack
of available documentation about LilyPond's
inner workings and programming interfaces.

Indeed, I have myself experienced the thorny
path to getting a grasp of how to extend
LilyPond in Scheme.

To remedy this, pushed by Jacques, I wrote
up the start of something that could someday
resemble an introduction to extending and a
guide covering programming topics. It is a
work-in-progress and pretty incomplete at the
moment. Nevertheless, it contains some unique
material, like the explanations about Scheme
engravers (totally undocumented).

On the long-term, this might make its way into
the official documentation in an adapted form.

It's here:

https://extending-lilypond.readthedocs.io/

I'll be glad if this is useful to someone.

I would also appreciate any comments you
might have.

Regards,
Jean