Re: A work-in-progress guide to extending LilyPond

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: A work-in-progress guide to extending LilyPond
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 16:47:31 +0200

Hi Harm,

Le 10/04/2021 à 15:43, Thomas Morley a écrit :
Am Sa., 10. Apr. 2021 um 13:10 Uhr schrieb Thomas Morley
<thomasmorley65@gmail.com>:

Hi Jean,

this is great work. I'd wish it would have been available years ago.
at the time I undertook exploring said "thorny path".

Well, I have to say that I could never have written
this thing without observing Scheme code sent by you
on this list, as well as Aaron, David, and numerous
others.

It should become part of the official docs!

That said, I had a closer look through it.
My remarks attached.

Many thanks for your comments. I think I've
addressed them all in the commit I just pushed
(should be updated automatically on Readthedocs
in a few minutes).

I was absolutely astounded by this!

\markup foo = \markup \with-color #red \etc
\markup \foo "arg"

Just a question: you say

  In music-functions, when calling a variable
  containing music .$ is preferable, because
  otherwise a subsequent call of the same
  variable will not see the original.

Is that not due to the copy $ makes? Do you
have an example?

Best,
   Harm
Hi again,

I cloned the repo, but I've no clue how to get it compiled.
First I had to install missing sphinx-stuff, then I tried
make html
and got:
$ make html
Running Sphinx v1.8.5
Adding copy buttons to code blocks...
building [mo]: targets for 0 po files that are out of date
building [html]: targets for 7 source files that are out of date
updating environment: 7 added, 0 changed, 0 removed
reading sources... [100%] translation

Sphinx error:
master file /home/hermann/extending-lilypond/contents.rst not found
make: *** [Makefile:20: html] Error 2

Any hint?

Cheers,
   Harm

Now to the build failure: you are using a
very outdated version of Sphinx, I have 3.5.3
over here. The "contents.rst" file has been
since renamed to "index.rst". Try updating?
Note that, as is common practice in Python
projects, the repository contains a file
called requirements.txt, which lists the
package requirements with pinned versions.
This means that you can just do

python3 -m pip install --user --requirement requirements.txt

(it's safest to uninstall first).

Best,
Jean