Re: A work-in-progress guide to extending LilyPond

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: A work-in-progress guide to extending LilyPond
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 00:41:33 +0200

Am Sa., 10. Apr. 2021 um 22:26 Uhr schrieb Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>:

> Le 10/04/2021 à 19:16, Thomas Morley a écrit :
>
> > Am Sa., 10. Apr. 2021 um 17:55 Uhr schrieb Thomas Morley
> > <thomasmorley65@gmail.com>:
> >> I'll  check for your recent changes soon.
> > Apart from a nit (below) all looks great now.
> >
> > You did not extend section "Introduction to extending - Printing
> > values" with other printing procedures.
> > Mentioned are `display' and `write' from scheme and `ly:message'. In a
> > later section `displayMusic' and `display-scheme-music'.
>
> Okay, I forgot about this one. I added
> some text about (ice-9 format) (not
> pretty-print, see below).

I've the feeling people don't like `pretty-print', is there any reason?

I'd never write (ly:message (format #f "~y" ...))
As said I use pretty-print, _if_ I want some more text I may use
(format <my-port> "some text ~y" ...)
with <my-port> being (current-error-port) or (current-output-port),
but in almost every case I use simplest #t, which defaults to
(current-output-port)

> Now go review https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/721. ;-)

Done and dropped a comment.

Thanks,