Re: Terminology question

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Terminology question
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 09:02:31 +0100

Robert,

Are you sure about the genitive? I would have thought the ablative would be more appropriate; consider:

rex armis militum interfectus est

The King was killed by the weapons of the soldiers.

The problem is that in English we would say "the soldier's weapons", but that's partly because we only have a genitive and not an ablative case.

Martin