Re: Is Lilypond’s G-Clef too straight?

From: Martín Rincón Botero
Subject: Re: Is Lilypond’s G-Clef too straight?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 22:36:30 +0200

Hi Valentin,

just sending my two cents, since I belong to one of those who feel that Lilypond has a quite characteristic G-clef (not ugly, but I wouldn't call it "normal" or "standard"). I just looked at your two proposals and browsed through random scores on IMSLP. Almost all of the IMSLP examples show a clef that slightly (sometimes not so slightly!) lean a bit forward with one striking example that does the exact opposite. I would agree with you that a small rotation forward looks a bit more standard and find especially the first rotated clef very nice. The "straightness" of Lilypond's clef becomes more apparent to me in the small clef for some reason. That perception goes away with the first rotated clef. The second rotated clef looks to me a bit too leaning forward. Could it be that the scores that use a more marked rotation use a clef with more "paunch" to compensate for the extra rotation?

Martín.

www.martinrinconbotero.com