Re: Having an actual hyphen in the lyrics?

From: Kira Garvie
Subject: Re: Having an actual hyphen in the lyrics?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:43:06 -0400

Actually, I had quite a few spelling errors, I am sorry! Verse two is supposed to be arouse, so that is also a dash. Carl was right, the correct term was a dash not a hyphen, and putting it in quotes with on: “on – ” worked perfectly, and it looks great! Sorry for the mistakes, and thank you for the help!

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 6:34 PM David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Tue 14 Sep 2021 at 18:05:17 (-0400), Kira Garvie wrote:
> Okay, I tried that, but it bumps the lyrics all over one. In the original
> page scan, which I am following, the hyphen falls right under the tied d
> 8th note. How do I override the tie to get the hyphen there?

You don't want a hyphen there, you need a lyric extender: "__"
(without my quotes). You put one in the second verse,
precisely underneath.

You probably want to replace the extender in the second verse
with a hyphen: "--" because I presume the word is onerous
(e, not a).

Note that LP's intraword hyphens don't aim to line up with anything
musical, because that isn't the convention.

Cheers,
David.