Re: musicXML: 2 staves, piano

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: musicXML: 2 staves, piano
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 22:52:07 +0200

Am Fr., 24. Sept. 2021 um 22:33 Uhr schrieb Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen@byu.edu>:

> We have automatic tests for xml2ly that check compliance with the musicXML
> standard.
>
> I'm fairly certain it's a problem with your musicXML, rather than xml2ly.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not expert enough on musicXML to find the mistakes.
>
> Why are your writing your own musicXML and then using xml2ly, instead of just
> writing in lilypond?
>
> Carl

Hi Carl,

iiuc, xml2ly converts an .xml-file to a .ly-file, not the other way round.

Speaking of it, I recently tested several methods to convert ly to xml:
(1) openlilylib (with lilypond-export, Jan-Peter)
(2) python-ly
(3) Frescobaldi
(4) de Wolff (https://github.com/de-wolff/lilypond.git)

and converted the resulting files back to ly with musicxml2ly
(builtin) and xml2ly (https://github.com/grame-cncm/libmusicxml.git,
xml2ly by Jacques)

The results were terrible :((

I was tempted to offer a very high bounty to get a working xml-export.
Alas, we already have
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/665 and the there
offered bounties are not that low ...

Cheers,