Re: musicXML: 2 staves, piano

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: musicXML: 2 staves, piano
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 21:10:46 +0000

On 9/24/21, 2:52 PM, "Thomas Morley" <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> wrote:

    Am Fr., 24. Sept. 2021 um 22:33 Uhr schrieb Carl Sorensen
<c_sorensen@byu.edu>:

    > We have automatic tests for xml2ly that check compliance with the
musicXML standard.

    > I'm fairly certain it's a problem with your musicXML, rather than xml2ly.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I'm not expert enough on musicXML to find the mistakes.
    >
    > Why are your writing your own musicXML and then using xml2ly, instead of
just writing in lilypond?

    > Carl

    Hi Carl,

    iiuc, xml2ly converts an .xml-file to a .ly-file, not the other way round.

Yes, I know this.  As far as I can see, Dmitry is writing musicXML files by
hand (which I cannot imagine doing) and then importing them to lilypond using
xml2ly.

    Speaking of it, I recently tested several methods to convert ly to xml:
    (1) openlilylib (with lilypond-export, Jan-Peter)
    (2) python-ly
    (3) Frescobaldi
    (4) de Wolff (https://github.com/de-wolff/lilypond.git)

    and converted the resulting files back to ly with musicxml2ly
    (builtin) and xml2ly (https://github.com/grame-cncm/libmusicxml.git,
    xml2ly by Jacques)

    The results were terrible :((

I totally agree that the musicXML export tools are really not good at all.

    I was tempted to offer a very high bounty to get a working xml-export.
    Alas, we already have
    https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/665 and the there
    offered bounties are not that low ...

I think that a good musicXML export project is likely a 6-month, full-time
project for an expert in lilypond.  For that kind of effort, a 1,000 euro
bounty is not big.

Thanks,

Carl