Re: 'baroque' time signatures

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: 'baroque' time signatures
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 22:53:55 +0100

Le 21/03/2022 à 22:49, Michael Gerdau a écrit :
{
   \time 4/4
   \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 2)
   1 1 1 1
   \time 3/1
   \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 6)
   1 1 1 1 1 1
}

I use basically the same except instead of
\set Timing.measureLength = ...
I have
\set Score.measureLength = ...

What is the difference and why/when would I prefer one over the other?

The Timing alias is given to contexts that manage the timing (measure length, subdivision, etc.). Usually, this is the Score context. However, if you move the Timing_translator to another context like Staff in order to get polymeter (in the upcoming version there will be a predefined \enablePolymeter command doing that behind the scenes), a \set for Timing becomes equivalent to \set Staff ... Thus, while using Timing is probably not very important for users who never typeset polymetric music, it is done in the documentation in order to account for all cases.

Jean