Re: text spanner around a line break restates the text, this is not want

From: Leo Correia de Verdier
Subject: Re: text spanner around a line break restates the text, this is not wanted
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:29:48 +0100

Hi Ken!

What happens is that when bound-details.left-broken is not specified, the value in bound-details.left is used instead, repeating the text at the start of the broken spanner. The spanner line disappears because there is no room left for it. Compare

\version "2.23.6"

{ \clef bass
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "This is a quite long string of text"
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text = "Here ends the spanner"
  d1 \startTextSpan c1 b,1 \break
  a,1 a1 \stopTextSpan g f e }

{ \clef bass
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "This is a quite long string of text"
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left-broken.text = ""
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text = "Here ends the spanner"
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.text = ""
  d1 \startTextSpan c1 b,1 \break
  a,1 a1 \stopTextSpan g f e }

I wonder if this use of left as default for left-broken and right for right-broken is really a good one, but recon it might be quite a lot of work to change, if it would be desirable at all…

HTH
/Leo