Re: Lirics in repeated multi-voice bar

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Lirics in repeated multi-voice bar
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:42:04 -0500

On Tue 29 Mar 2022 at 10:55:01 (-0600), Carl Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 5:08 AM Jogchum Reitsma <j.reitsma@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> > In bar 8 and 9 of the attached lilypond snippet, there is a split voice,
> > in a repeat block.
> >
> > The text placement I get (added in the attached .pdf) is doubled,
> > besides  of placing the two stanza fragments just beneath each other.
> > (As such, the text placement is correct, but I need to get rid of the
> > doubles.)
> >
> > Can anyone shed a light on what I'm doing wrong here?
> >

> You have created two new Lyrics contexts.  Each Lyrics context gets its own
> horizontal line (think of it kind of like a staff).  So if you want things
> to be in line, you need to make them part of the same lyrics context.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you are after.  I don't know if the bass2 notes
> are supposed to be for the second time through the repeat, and the
> alternate words go with the 3rd stanza, or do you want both bass1 and bass2
> to be part of the second stanza?
>
> If I knew what you were after, I could help you.

The song has three (double-)verses, and the underlay is trivially
different for the altos in verse one around measure 7, which might
be a reason for setting it separately.

(Three lines of German might also be difficult for some.)

However, the split bass at the end causes no problems at all: just
add a new voice for one part, and let the lyrics carry through in
the other (ie no change for them), eg:

  fs1 fs4( gs) gs( fs)
  cs\breve
  < fs, cs' >\breve
  << { \voiceTwo fs\breve ~ fs1 fs } \new Voice { \voiceOne cs'\breve ~ cs1 ds
} >>
  < gs, cs, >\breve

(In case you wonder why there are two parts here, and not chords,
it is of course because it's   \voiceOne cs'\breve cs1( ds)
in the original score.)

Cheers,
David.