Re: new behavior of lilypond-book-preamble.ly?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: new behavior of lilypond-book-preamble.ly?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 09:15:33 -0600

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 8:41 AM K. Blum <benbignoise@gmx.de> wrote:

Am 30.03.2022 um 00:53 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:

> This is
>
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6235
>
> You can get cropping with -dcrop in the command line or
> #(ly:set-option 'crop) in your .ly file, but it is different in that
> it generates a separate .cropped.xxx file in addition to a non-cropped
> main .xxx file (with xxx = pdf most of the time).
>
> Jean

Merci, Jean.

May I hope that someday we will get back the original behavior?
I'm asking because the OOoLilyPond extension for LibreOffice and
OpenOffice heavily relies on lilypond-book-preamble.ly (and has done
that ever since).
For the sake of backward compatibility, it is absolutely desirable to
continue in the same way. Changing the workflow inside OOoLilyPond could
make it unusable for LilyPond versions prior to 2.23.5.
See https://github.com/OOoLilyPond

Is it not possible to make OOoLilyPond check for the LilyPond version and respond differently based on the LilyPond version?

Forcing strict backwards compatibility can prevent necessary improvements in software.  LilyPond is currently wrestling with this issue in Guile.  We would love to have Guile 2 (and 3) work just like 1.8, but that's not the case, so we need to adjust LilyPond.

Perhaps the same is true of OOoLilyPond.  I don't know if that's the case or not, but that discussion should be entered into, IMO, with people from both development communities.

THanks,

Carl