Re: Temporary div. multiple staffs

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Temporary div. multiple staffs
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 23:37:54 -0700

(Please keep the mailing list on all replies.)

On 2022-04-05 11:06 pm, Evan Driscoll wrote:
On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 12:37 AM Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:

Unsure there is a definitively "right" way... but here's an option:

http://lilybin.com/1l8whf/12

Move the StaffGroup declaration outside the music.  Also, you can name
contexts so you can reference an existing one to avoid creating new ones
(explicitly or implicitly).

Perfect, thanks!

As a final tweak, in case anyone finds this thread in the future, here's
how to omit the time signature on the new staff:
http://lilybin.com/1l8whf/15

Though a question -- I discovered that adding *just* the \new StaffGroup on
the "outside" made things work -- on the simplified example, that'd be
something like http://lilybin.com/1l8whf/16. In other words, that works
even without explicitly naming the existing Staff context and referring to
it with \context. Is there any difference between these, aside from
possible readability arguments?

In many cases, you can rely on the implicit handling of contexts. Your example #16 above relies on the implicit continuation of the current context as only the divisi staff is explicitly created, so things do work as expected.

But note that this new staff appears below the original one. If you wanted it to be above, consider:

http://lilybin.com/1l8whf/17

(I added color just to make it easier to see which context is which.)

-- Aaron Hill