Re: Temporary div. multiple staffs

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Temporary div. multiple staffs
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 08:39:31 +0200

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 at 07:21, Evan Driscoll <evaned@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another question, one I've struggled with before.
>
> The part splits out temporarily into divisi parts on multiple staffs. I always have trouble getting the correct incantations to get the correct result.
>
> A naive attempt results in http://lilybin.com/1l8whf/5. This is enough to keep working, but it looks bad -- barlines don't cross between staffs, and there's no grouping a la https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/69/lily-9c91c2b7.png from the manual.
>
> I can get a pair of staffs that are correct on their own by creating a StaffGroup with two new staffs -- http://lilybin.com/1l8whf/9 -- but the original staff continues through. Omitting the explicit \new Staff invocations doesn't help -- http://lilybin.com/1l8whf/11.
>
> What's the right way to do this?

Hello,

One way mentioned in the documentation is to use the "Keep_alive_together_engraver" in combination with keepAliveInterfaces and VerticalAxisGroup.remove-layer.
See NR 1.6.2 Modifying single staves > Hiding staves
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#hiding-staves

Cheers,
Xavier

--