Re: Cannot get clef and time on first measure

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Cannot get clef and time on first measure
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 01:53:13 +0200

Le 03/06/2022 à 00:13, Steven A. Falco a écrit :
I've now got version of the piece with no warnings or errors (attached), and it looks perfect.

I had to break some of the parts up so I could handle overlaps between the guitar parts and the melody, and while still using the "skip-of-length" constructs as much as possible.

I don't know if there is a cleaner way to handle the overlaps, but I'm open to suggestions.  Also, is there a way to do math on the skipped lengths?

I could not figure out the scheme syntax for that yet, but if there was a way to say something like "#(skip-of-length melody_notes) minus one measure", that would be helpful.

In 2.23.9, you can already do \skip \melody_notes, which
skips the duration of \melody_notes. On the other hand, this
doesn't allow subtracting a length. For that, you could do
something like this:

\version "2.23.9"

mus = { c'1 2 4 4 1 1 }

skipLengthMinus =
#(define-music-function (music minus) (ly:music? ly:duration?)
   (skip (ly:make-duration 0 0 (ly:moment-main (ly:moment-sub (ly:music-length mus)
(ly:duration-length minus))))))

{ c'1 \skipLengthMinus \mus 1*2 c'1 }

The first argument to \skipLengthMinus is the music whose
length is the main source for the duration to skip. The
second argument is a duration to subtract from that.

Best,
Jean