Re: Cannot get clef and time on first measure

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Cannot get clef and time on first measure
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 15:58:23 +0200

"Steven A. Falco" <stevenfalco@gmail.com> writes:

> On 6/2/22 08:08 PM, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
>> Le 03/06/2022 à 01:58, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 5:53 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
>>>

>>>     In 2.23.9, you can already do \skip \melody_notes, which
>>>     skips the duration of \melody_notes.
>>>
>>> That is way cool!
>> Dan (in CC) is the person to thank for it.
>
> Thanks again for all the "tricks of the trade".  I'll play around with
> the scheme notation - it is time I learned more about that.
>
> BTW, the reason the lyrics are self-timed is because there are some
> alternate phrasings in the melody.

Frankly, I have no beef with self-timed lyrics.  It tends to be the most
robust against consequences from unrelated changes.  It's just not how
most people are doing this, so the discussion may be more limited in
application than it appears at first sight.

And for music-timed lyrics, one has to admit that the idea is tempting
that you'll only ever need to enter the lyrics for the Latin Common Mass
once and then not touch them ever again, regardless of composition.

Though optimistic.

--
David Kastrup