Re: stacking of figured bass elements

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: stacking of figured bass elements
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:11:46 +0000 (UTC)

> This sounds like it might be related to my [long-standing] concerns
> about leading, etc., in markups: there either isn’t a convenient
> mechanism to deal with texts/markups *from their baseline [and not
> their reference point]*, or the convenient mechanism exists and
> isn’t sufficiently well exposed/documented/promoted.

It looks superficially similar, but I think it is a completely
different mechanism behind the scenes.  AFAICS, the vertical spacing
of vertically stacked figured bass elements uses a special routine
`ly:align-interface::align-to-minimum-distances` in grob
`BassFigureAlignment`.  In the source code (function
`Align_interface::internal_get_minimum_translations` in file
`align-interface.cc`) I see that the function also listens to
`basic-distance` (probably from `VerticalAxisGroup`), but I wasn't
able to trigger it – most probably, this code part is not specific to
figured bass.

    Werner