Re: stacking of figured bass elements

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: stacking of figured bass elements
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 08:22:42 +0200

Le 13/06/2022 à 07:31, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
I see that the function also listens to `basic-distance` (probably
from `VerticalAxisGroup`), but I wasn't able to trigger it – most
probably, this code part is not specific to figured bass.
I think this should do (I can elaborate when I have more time):

\version "2.22.2"

\figures {
   \override BassFigureLine.staff-staff-spacing =
               #'((basic-distance . 0)
                  (minimum-distance . 1.6)
                  (padding . -inf.0)
                  (stretchability . 0))
   < f I \markup r >
}
Aah, not `VerticalAxisGroup` but `BassFigureLine` it is!  Excellent,
thanks!

One question remains, however: Why `staff-staff-spacing` and not
`nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing`?  Or to ask the question differently: How
can I recognize the difference between 'staff' and 'nonstaff' material
in general?

Everything with a staff-affinity is "nonstaff", all
the rest is "staff". (See Page_layout_problem::is_spaceable
in lily/page-layout-problem.cc.)

By the way, here is a better snippet:

\version "2.22.2"

\figures {
  \override BassFigureLine.staff-staff-spacing =
    #'((minimum-distance . 1.6)
       (padding . -inf.0))
  < f I \markup r >
}

Giving values for basic-distance and stretchability was
in fact pointless: since BassFigureAlignment uses
ly:align-interface::align-to-minimum-distances,
it only takes minimum-distance and padding into account.

Best,
Jean