Re: Code pointer from end-BarLine to previous NoteHead.?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Code pointer from end-BarLine to previous NoteHead.?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 19:28:18 +0200

Am Mo., 18. Juli 2022 um 18:43 Uhr schrieb Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de>:

> Forgive me for piping up:
> > I'm not able to say what happened, I'm not able to debug because of
> > that unhelpful (oh, I'm very polite this evening) guile messages, see
> > the other thread.
> >
> > I'm overtired like hell, close to trashing the whole project, and
> > close to advertising everyone to not use LilyPond for huge custom
> > codings.
>
> That would be a pity, seeing as you're one of the most virtuoso
> suppliers of non-trivial LilyPond scheme extensions.
>
> I regularly switch back to old Guile v1.8 LilyPond versions (that's very
> easy in Frescobaldi) if my Scheme code gets to complicated for me - this
> happens quite often :-) - and I want to have meaningful debug messages.
> Maybe that's a compromise one has to make for the time being.
>
> In any case, please don't let yourself get frustrated: Remember how lots
> of people were very grateful for your experiences and insights regarding
> extending LilyPond you could share in Salzburg two years ago; they are
> even more important since you declare yourself to be "not a programmer",
> if I recall correctly, and hence probably closer to the LilyPond users
> without a computer science/maths/... background than most people on this
> list (and certainly on -devel) are. This project needs you. :-)
>
> Hang on in there!
>
> Lukas

Hi Lukas,

I will not vanish from the list/project in the foreseeable future,
unless hit by bus...

Though in my humble opinion meaningful error messages are the most
pressing issue and I don't see I could do anything to improve the
situation.
That is frustrating, furthermore I was stuck in a huge coding I could
not debug, because of those not-messages.
(I'll insert some german words now, not knowing them in english).
Every time I get such a not-message it feels like "Verarschung". At
the end of a day I feel not frustrated but realy pissed.

Sometimes writing about that is a possbility come down a bit, even at
the risk someone gives me a "Kopfnuss". ;)

Nevertheless, did you read
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2022-07/msg00234.html
?
Thanks Jean, I found a possibility to workaround.

That said, ...
It shouldn't be that hard to code with guilev2 in LilyPond.

Cheers,
  Harm