Re: Music function help

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: Music function help
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 08:01:00 -0700

--
Knute Snortum

On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 8:18 PM Mark Probert <probertm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed it is, Aaron! Thank you!
>
> I have to admit the disposition, or not, of braces confuses me. Seems like
> they are optional in some places, and not in others, such as here. Is there a
> rule behind when they are needed?

My understanding is that you need braces when the keyword (grace in
this case) needs one musical expression, but you have two or more
notes in that expression.  You can remove the braces if your musical
expression only contains one note, but I prefer to always use braces
to be clearer and to remind myself that braces are mandatory when you
have two or more notes.

% Why you sometimes need braces and sometimes don't:

\version "2.22.2"

% The note b8 is the expression "consumed" by the grace keyword
\relative c'' {
  \grace b8 c4
}

% I always put braces around the first note for safety (and to remind myself)
\relative c'' {
  \grace { b8 } c4
}

% But this won't work without braces, if you were intending to do is
the next staff
\relative c'' {
  \grace a8[ b] c4
}

% Braces make the a8 and b one musical expression
\relative c'' {
  \grace { a8[ b] } c4