Re: Music function help

From: Mark Probert
Subject: Re: Music function help
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 09:10:42 +1100

Many thanks, David! A perfectly clear explanation. I suspect I will be using \displayLilyMusic much more often in the future.

On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 11:10 PM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
Mark Probert <probertm@gmail.com> writes:

> Indeed it is, Aaron! Thank you!
>
> I have to admit the disposition, or not, of braces confuses me. Seems like
> they are optional in some places, and not in others, such as here. Is there
> a rule behind when they are needed?

Braces are never optional.  They form sequential music expressions.  If
the sequence only contains a single music _expression_, there may not be
much of a difference in interpretation but there is still a difference
in _expression_: if you use \displayLilyMusic, you'll see that every pair
of braces inside is getting reproduced faithfully.

In your example, you used braces to combine your music arguments into a
single _expression_, and as a single _expression_, it would only serve for
one of your music arguments.

--
David Kastrup

--