Re: Flexible lyric alignment

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Flexible lyric alignment
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 09:05:51 +0000 (UTC)

>> I think that such a fine granularity of automatic lyric adjustment
>> would only be possible with LilyPond doing (at least) two
>> typesetting passes, if at all.
>
> Can you elaborate? What would it help with?

I draw my idea from LaTeX, for example handling multi-page tables (see
the 'longtable' package).

* In the first pass, typeset everything without stuff marked for a
  follow-up pass.

* Use the result of the first pass to 'fix' all spring and rods.  With
  'fixing' I mean that only a certain amount of deviation from the
  first-pass horizontal spacing is allowed in the second pass.

* In the second pass, apply the additional stuff in the usual way,
  probably having a special 'lyrics floating mode' that allows the
  lyrics to flow horizontally around a given position (taken from the
  first pass).

>> In general, implementing a second pass – note that I have *no* clue
>> whether this is easy or hard to implement – might help solve other
>> problems, too, for example typsetting primo and secondo layout for
>> four-hand music
>> (https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/902).
>
> That issue looks like a lot of busywork to overhaul the page
> breaking engine for working on several scores in parallel, but on
> the conceptual level it doesn’t look difficult to me.

Good to know, thanks.

    Werner