Re: Future of OpenLilyLib

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Future of OpenLilyLib
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 22:38:10 +0100

Hello Jean, Hello All,

I think the main problem with OLL is that it tries to provide some sort of
equivalent of the STL for Lilypond. Thus is packs a lot of functionality in
one big chunk that is hard to organize and hard to maintain, feeling like a
big, alien thing.

In my opinion it is not bad to allow for modular extension of Lilypond,
especially for things that do not fit the core of the program. You need to keep
in mind that this would be a strong possibility of enhancing Lilypond without
cluttering it’s core. And if non core developer were able to implement new
features in modules that could potentially be included into base Lilypond if
proven reasonable it might become easier to contribute to Lilypond. This is a
big part of the reason why languages like python are so popular. But the OLL
implementation is just unwieldy and hard to maintain.

Currently if I were to develop an OLL module for Lilypond I would face two
problems: Any potential user first must be motivated to install OLL, which is a
cluttered and unintuitive process. And then my package would constantly depend
on OLL being maintained.

Thus I think what would be more sustainable is if we had an module interface
that is well maintained (eventually to the point of maintaining against
multiple Lilypond versions), and individual packages using this interface.
Even more promising would be if Lilypond itself were to allow for modules,
which would eliminating the need for oll-core at all (also this would even
allow for more crazy stuff, like packaging specifying code that is executed at
different stages).

But as it stands I’m not sure if OLL can be maintained. We’ve seen how quickly
OLL falls if a handful of people fall away, and what we face here is basically
an uphill battle trying to keep that thing maintained (not even talking about
further developing it).

Cheers,
Valentin