Re: Handbell notation

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Handbell notation
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 10:00:10 +0000

On Mon, 2022-12-05 at 04:40 -0500, Michael Werner wrote:
Though I had to go look up what quaver and crotchet meant - this debased and corrupted version of English we speak over here led me astray for a bit.
:-)
- I wouldn't be that cruel to our cousins and friends.

It's always puzzled me, why Americans settled on a semibreve as a "whole note" when it's very name indicates that it is only half a breve. When I was a lad, hymn books were often set with minims, semibreves and breves, which would be awkward with the US terminology. Fortunately I've never come across a longa or a large outside of theory books.

Kind regards, and thanks for the pointers which I shall study.
Martin

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS