Re: Difficulty running convert-ly under Linux/Ubuntu

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Difficulty running convert-ly under Linux/Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:44:12 +0100

Le 20/12/2022 à 03:52, Ralph Palmer a écrit :
Greetings -

Jean Abou Samra kindly pointed me in the right direction for the installation of 2.24.0 in Linux with Frescobaldi.

I was successful. Then I tried running convert-ly for all my .ly files, using

find . -name '*.ly' -exec convert-ly -e '{}' \;

on the command line. That was unsuccessful.

In fact, speaking of 'installation' for this is a bit of a misnomer.
It's just unpacking the archive and running the binaries from there.
This is totally different from the 2.22 installation method, with the
.sh file that created commands available globally. Now, the 'installation'
process doesn't do anything at all to the system. If you want to
run convert-ly from the 2.24 binaries, run it with its full path,
as Michael suggested. Alternatively, Frescobaldi has a nice tool
for that, in Tools > Update with convert-ly.

You *can* also make 'convert-ly' available globally, by making a symlink
to its executable in a directory that is on your $PATH, typically ~/bin.
If you do that, you will be able to run convert-ly with 'convert-ly' in
a shell instead of '/path/to/lilypond-2.24.0/bin/convert-ly'.
Some have complained that this became less easy to do with the new
installation method. I personally view it as a big advantage, because
several installations never interfere, it's always clear what version
you are running, and it makes it clear in the head of the user that
there is no problem with having several versions of LilyPond 'installed'
(in fact just present on the computer!) in parallel.

I also tried

convert-ly -e $(find . -name '*.ly' -print)

but both of those commands were unsuccessful. In both cases, I got the message

6: exec: /home/rpalmer/lilypond/usr/bin/python3: not found

even though Python 3.10 is in the LilyPond directory. Ah, but I don't see my usr/bin directory. I'm still confused.

This one means you have an install of an older version around, and
it's broken somehow. Well, don't care; use the new one anyway.

Best,
Jean