lout-users

Re: Latin 2 support

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Latin 2 support
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:31:53 +0300

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 13:54:21 +0100, dr.Eduard Werner (Edward Wornar) wrote:

> @SysInclude{ latin2 }
> @SysInclude{ slides }
>
> @OverheadTransparencies
> @InitialFont{ TimesCE Base 17p }

> However, this does not work w.o. the @InitialFont directive and I
> think it should.

This is hard to achieve without revamping packaging system (and that
probably gonna break existing setups, which is bad).

> The other problem is that the latin-2 support is incomplete, the
> latin-2 consonants with acute accents are missing almost completely,
> so that the package would work for Polish, Croatian or Sorbian.

>From looking at the "plus" files in 'fonts' my guess is that the extra
composites were submitted by a Czech user (let me check...  rummage,
rummage, rummage, aha! - Jaroslav Serdula (big thanks!)).

You can extend the "plus" files by example.  Don't forget to submit
your changes to Jeff.

> Furthermore, I often have mixed texts using latin-[2-5]; I'd like to
> be able to use the unicode stuff of mule and probably it would be no
> problem to make lout recognize two-char sequences for typesetting a
> certain character.

Unfortunately, Lout doesn't support Unicode yet.  Also, since Lout
consumes its input in a way that is very different from TeX's, it's
harder to device a solution similar to TeX accents.

SY, Uwe