lout-users

Re: Latin 2 support

From: dr.Eduard Werner (Edward Wornar)
Subject: Re: Latin 2 support
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:11:33 +0100

Dnja Tue, 28 Nov 2000 Valeriy E. Ushakov pisa¹e:
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 08:21:33 +0100, dr.Eduard Werner (Edward Wornar)
> wrote:
>
> > So what's the point in @SysInclude{ latin2 } then if it does *not*
> > make latin-2 characters available? I think I'm missing something ...
>
> The point is that it does. ;-)
>
> It gets Latin2 fonts defined with those additional composite glyphs
> defined in "plus" files.

Well, in my example w.o. the additional @InitialFont, it does *not*.
It simply takes the glyphs with the same ASCII Code from Latin-1.

> Is it for some specific language that uses some specific encoding?  S
> with cirumflex is in 8859-3, so why not define a 8859-3 mapping file
> and properly declare the language used and then use extra composites
> files to get both hyphenation and correct ghlyphs.

Yes, that was a poor example. For phonetic transcription, e.g. I might well
need a special character for a single document only, but I can see now I can
then simply add it to some '+'-File (or write a new one).

> You can use an existing program like accfont or a2ac to make an
> accented font and peek at the metrics of accented chars and write
> "plus" font file by looking at them.

Hmm, I was not aware of these. Thanks for pointing out. Another thing:
Are there any free Russian fonts around working with lout?

Thanks a lot for your help

Edi

--