lout-users

Re: Using TeX fonts in Lout

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Using TeX fonts in Lout
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:12:10 +0300

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 20:05:08 -0800, Clint Olsen wrote:

> Unfortunately, there's not a lot of explanation given with these "free" TeX
> font packages, but it would seem that these BigSky fonts are not fully
> scalable like the 35 default typefaces available in most Postscript
> interpreters.  This sort of reduces the utility of using these fontsets.

What do you mean by "not fully scalable"?  Type1 doesn't support
*optical* scaling (Multiple Master does, but Lout doesn't support
multiple master fonts).  TeX does "support" optical scaling, but it
simply uses different bitmap fonts for different sizes, but those
bitmap fonts are derived from the same source (hence the "meta" in
Metafont).

> So, is there a section of the FAQ on sources of *good* fonts
> *besides* the same old boring Abode set that are not strictly
> encumbered?

:-)

You can probably find a lot of accidental fonts on the web, but
finding free (for practical values of "free", no GNU flames please)
good body type fonts is highly problematic.  Partially, because there
not that many good body type designs.

Tiro TypeWorks (www.tiro.com) has some very elegant text families, but
they cost around $30 per font.

Sun Micro. has their "branding" fonts available for download

    http://www.sun.com/smrc/brand-elem/typefaces.html

  USER AGREEMENT: Sun sans-serif and Sun serif are the exclusive
  property of Sun Microsystems, Inc. By loading these fonts you are
  agreeing to use them ONLY on materials created for Sun
  Microsystems. Do not re-distribute files downloaded here.

I know that Intel and Sun are... hmm, let's say "at odds" ;-), but in
case you gonna send them a document, I guess you can use these fonts.

You can also take a look at Literaturnaya (search archives, for the
URL and discussion of its pretty obscure license).

SY, Uwe