lout-users

Re: The PDF back end

From: bln
Subject: Re: The PDF back end
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 17:08:04 +0200

Hi Marcelo,

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 12:11:38AM -0300, Marcelo Huerta wrote:

> > Perhaps now is the time to
> > start transitioning to a new model,

> That's been done already, it's called SDF...
> Check http://www.mincom.com/mtr/sdf/ and see :-)

I know about SDF. I looked at a lot of packages in my 'quest' for
the perfect lightweight document formatting system. Finally, I
chose Lout.

> First the XML-ization proposal, now this...

XML-ization isn't bad either, but it should be done as a seperate
front-end project. Design a LoutML DTD which translates 1:1 to
Lout. Write a tool that can do this translation. Then, any
package which fully supports DSSSL/XSL can use Lout as a
back-end.

> Why this growing tendency to
> advocate the conversion of Lout in something that it isn't?

Placing a software layer between the Lout core and the output
format is an internal design issue, not something that affects
the end user directly. The only issue with backward compatibility
is the possible removal of embedded Postscript support.

> I, for one, am very happy with Lout as it is.

So am I. That doesn't mean there is no room for improvement.

- --
Regards,                                                        /\
=Martin=                                                        \/
                       ASCII Ribbon Campaign Against HTML Mail  /\

PGP:  FE87448B  DDF8 677C 9244 D119 4FE0  AE3A 37CF 3458 FE87 448B