lout-users

Re: LOUT and XML

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: Re: LOUT and XML
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:32:16 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Tuesday, September 18, 2001 at 10:33:09 (+0200), Ian Carr-de Avelon wrote:
]
> Subject: Re: LOUT and XML
>
> To say you would not gain anything is a slight exaguration. If all the
> files you deal with in the process have the same basic syntax, then
> it is a lot easier to read and move between stages in the data/document
> processing chain.

Watch out!  That can backfire on you BIG time!  Having a different
syntax is actually "A Good Thing(tm)" in many many cases.

This insane desire of many people to have everything look the same is
very dangerous and insidious.

> How many of us would start looking at the postscript
> or pdf output if things start going wrong?

I don't know about PDF, but the only thing that gives me any problem
with PostScript is that my brain just doesn't fathom RPN very well...

> it is only a different
> language, so according to your argumant we should not think twice.

The problem is that when you move from one language domain to another
you have to think twice lest you make grave mistakes.

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <address@hidden>     <address@hidden>
Planix, Inc. <address@hidden>;   Secrets of the Weird <address@hidden>