lout-users

Re: character mapping to pdf

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: character mapping to pdf
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:37:52 +0000

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 14:46, address@hidden wrote:
> When I view a pdf version of my document in Acrobat, lists with bullets
> turn into characters from the extended character set.  Some of the letter
> combinations like "fi" also get remapped.  I'm using Ghostscript to convert
> lout ps to pdf.  Is there some setting I need to change?

I think you may find problems with other ligatures when using ps2pdf; I
always check fl, cy, iv and fi. If I get problems with these I use
@OneCol etc. which helps. I also found that ps2pdf includes this on the
command line:
    -c .setpdfwrite
I don't know what it is supposed to do, but for me at least (with gs
5.20 to 7.04) it causes all ligatures to be messed up. So instead of
using ps2pdf I use my own script which does the same thing but doesn't
include that command line argument. This still leaves some ligatures
messed up, but far fewer.

If anyone knows a more comprehensive solution, I'd be glad to know it.

--
Mark.