lout-users

Re: Compiling lout 3.38 on Windows with mingw+msys

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: Compiling lout 3.38 on Windows with mingw+msys
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:36:33 +0800

Remo Dentato wrote:
[snip]
I suspect that with this modifications it should also compile with
cygwin but I don't have it installed to confirm.

This tweak is not needed on Cygwin. Lout compiles out-of-the-box on Cygwin, but some of the settings might need adjusting, e.g. "/home/jeff" for PREFIX and the installation target, which I prefer something along the "/usr/local" tree.

[snip]
The executable will honor the LOUTLIB environment variable, I'll put
together a binary-only distribution for windows that has a suitable
default (e.g. C:\lout) that can be overriden by users using that
variable. There should be no dependency on mingw dll's but I need to
check.

The extra code that Uwe and I did for our ports was to grab the executable path so that a default installation can run without needing to set LOUTLIB. The convenience of not needing to set an environment variable was big enough for me to add that bit of code. My rule of thumb is, don't add to the environment variable space unless really necessary. Besides, Win32 is not a POSIX platform in any sense, so I think, feel free to bend some rules. Many experienced Win32 users like self-contained apps, I think.

The best option for Windows users would be an installer and a small
gui to select the file to pass to lout and set some command line
switch but this requires some time.

Your call. In the last few years, I have received some feedback with respect to the Win32 binaries on SF, but no one asked for an installer. I only remembered someone asking for binaries for a new version. But I don't know how things are for Vista or future versions of Windows. Microsoft seem to want the command prompt to disappear completely.

[snip]
Remo.D

Many thanks for keeping it going.

--