Re: [Ltib] Problem getting started with Microwindows/Nano-X

From: Matt Waddel
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Problem getting started with Microwindows/Nano-X
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:51:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bob,

Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 19:19 -0700, Matt Waddel wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Which image are you trying to boot with?  The image.bin
>> that is created in the root <ltib> directory after the
>> build finishes is a kernel+romfs image.  Just load that
>> image to address 0x40020000 and start it.  It should
>> work.  Look at the Users Guide in the iso and there are
>> sections explaining the different boot image options.
>
> Okay, I tried image.bin, and that does indeed work fine.  It is also
> faster than using the uboot image, so that's cool. ;-)
>
> So I suppose I have a problem with the uboot image, but I'm not sure I
> care anymore, and probably won't pursue that - though if someone knows
> what's going on, I would be happy to understand...

I have always used the image.bin image for debugging and
board bring-up, it removes a layer of complexity.  Once
you get an image.bin working correctly you can switch back
to the uImage.  Make sure the "Create a uImage of the ROMFS
image" is selected under "Target Image Generation".

> More serious, though, is that the 320x240 resolution doesn't really make
> things acceptably better.  But here's something that now puzzles me, and
> makes me pause before claiming it is purely a microwindows problem.  In
> both cases (320x240 AND 240x320), the little penguin startup logo is
> displayed correctly!  Only if I set the resolution to 640x480 (clearly
> wrong, but sometimes you got to get a bit crazy to gain that crucial
> Aha! moment!) does that get weird.  Is this to be expected?  Given that
> I don't know anything about how the framebuffer is implemented, I don't
> know...

The framebuffer code is pretty much self contained in
linux/drivers/video/mcf-fb.c and it's been working pretty
well for several different screen sizes on a couple of
different platforms.  You're using a custom board right?
You may need to adjust the setups in the mcf-fb.c file
to match your system.

Best regards,
Matt