Re: [Ltib] Problem getting started with Microwindows/Nano-X

From: Robert S. Grimes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Problem getting started with Microwindows/Nano-X
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:46:12 -0400

Hi Matt,

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 19:19 -0700, Matt Waddel wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Which image are you trying to boot with?  The image.bin
> that is created in the root <ltib> directory after the
> build finishes is a kernel+romfs image.  Just load that
> image to address 0x40020000 and start it.  It should
> work.  Look at the Users Guide in the iso and there are
> sections explaining the different boot image options.

Okay, I tried image.bin, and that does indeed work fine.  It is also
faster than using the uboot image, so that's cool. ;-)

So I suppose I have a problem with the uboot image, but I'm not sure I
care anymore, and probably won't pursue that - though if someone knows
what's going on, I would be happy to understand...

More serious, though, is that the 320x240 resolution doesn't really make
things acceptably better.  But here's something that now puzzles me, and
makes me pause before claiming it is purely a microwindows problem.  In
both cases (320x240 AND 240x320), the little penguin startup logo is
displayed correctly!  Only if I set the resolution to 640x480 (clearly
wrong, but sometimes you got to get a bit crazy to gain that crucial
Aha! moment!) does that get weird.  Is this to be expected?  Given that
I don't know anything about how the framebuffer is implemented, I don't
know...

So, have I ruled out the framebuffer/kernel, or not?

Thanks,
-Bob