Re: [Ltib] Problem getting started with Microwindows/Nano-X

From: Robert S. Grimes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Problem getting started with Microwindows/Nano-X
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:08:27 -0400 (EDT)

---- Original message ----

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:51:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matt Waddel <address@hidden>

>I have always used the image.bin image for debugging and
>board bring-up, it removes a layer of complexity. Once
>you get an image.bin working correctly you can switch back
>to the uImage. Make sure the "Create a uImage of the ROMFS
>image" is selected under "Target Image Generation".

For whatever reason, once I first got U-boot working almost two years ago, I just stuck with using images for it.  Now, LTIB even makes that easier; before, I didn't use it and had an extra step to perform.  Now, because of the speed and convenience of the image.bin method, I'm glad you mentioned that!

>> More serious, though, is that the 320x240 resolution doesn't really make
>> things acceptably better. But here's something that now puzzles me, and
>> makes me pause before claiming it is purely a microwindows problem. In
>> both cases (320x240 AND 240x320), the little penguin startup logo is
>> displayed correctly! Only if I set the resolution to 640x480 (clearly
>> wrong, but sometimes you got to get a bit crazy to gain that crucial
>> Aha! moment!) does that get weird. Is this to be expected? Given that
>> I don't know anything about how the framebuffer is implemented, I don't
>> know...
>
>The framebuffer code is pretty much self contained in
>linux/drivers/video/mcf-fb.c and it's been working pretty
>well for several different screen sizes on a couple of
>different platforms. You're using a custom board right?
>You may need to adjust the setups in the mcf-fb.c file
>to match your system.

Yes, it is a custom board, but it is heavily based on the Freescale/LogicPD design.  Still, there may be a difference, so thanks for the pointer as to where to look!

Thanks for your help!

Robert S. Grimes

RSG Associates
Embedded Systems and Software Development
for Military, Aerospace, Industry - and beyond!
617.697.8579
www.rsgassoc.com