Re: [Ltib] Sierra 3G modem not working on Phytec Board. (/proc/bus/usb

From: Quentin YANG
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Sierra 3G modem not working on Phytec Board. (/proc/bus/usb directory not found.)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:52:54 +1000

Hi Srinivas,

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. I solved the " ' /proc/bus/usb' directory not found " problem by reconfiguring the linux 2.6.27.8 kernel in LTIB.

in \ltib-qs\rpm\BUILD\linux-2.6.27.8\.config file, there is one change as below:

"
#
# Miscellaneous USB options
#
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y

"

2. By changing the LTIB make configuration, using MDEV to creat nodes, now the UsbSerial node ( ttyUSB0) can be automatically created and removed when inserting and disconnecting 3G sierra modem. I DON'T HAVE TO run 'mdev -s' after I insert 'usbserial, sierra' modules.

'/dev/ttyUSB0' will turn up after inserting sierra 3G modem. It will disappear after disconnecting 3G sierra modem.

in \ltib-qs-svn-bkup\config\platform\phy3250\.config, there are following changes:
".......................
CONFIG_PKG_MDEV=y
CONFIG_SYSCFG_START_MDEV=y
"

USB Endpoints 00,01,81 are turning up and disappearing with the connection and disconnection of 3G sierra modem without 'usbserial, sierra modules' being loaded.

"/dev/usbdev1.3,
/dev/usbdev1.3_ep00,
/dev/usbdev1.3_ep01,
/dev/usbdev1.3_ep81"

are USB end points created and removed whenever plug-in and removING 3G sierra modem WITHOUT even installing 'usbserial, sierra modules'.

3. Now more important question is WHY THERE IS ONLY ONE PAIR OF USB END POINT APPEARED (i.e., ep01, ep81) ???
    It suppose to have 7 pairs of end-points for sierra MC8790 3G modem MiniCard.

On linux PC, I can see

/dev/usbdev1.2_ep00
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep01
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep02
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep03
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep04
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep05
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep06
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep07
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep81
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep82
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep83
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep84
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep85
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep86
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep87
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep88
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep89
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep8a
/dev/usbdev1.2_ep8b

And endpoint 1~7 are matching to ttyUSB0~6, in which ttyUSB3 is the port I can do AT commands on Linux PC.

On Phytec board, there are only USB end points (ep01,ep81).
They are created without 'insmod usbserial.ko, insmod sierra.ko'.

So I think the PROBLEM IS WITH "pnx4008 OHCI" DRIVER, which I guess is the routine to create USB endpoints.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I attached the 'console log' from Phytec board. You can clearly see my board config information.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Quentin