lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Help on porting LWIP

From: Jeff Barber
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Help on porting LWIP
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:55:36 -0400

I went through this learning curve last year and did essentially the
same thing (for a very different board environment).  The basic steps
are:

1. Create a cc.h for your port.  This is straight-forward and involves
choosing types for u8, u16, u32, etc. as well as setting endianness

2. Create a sys_arch.h for your port. For a no-OS (NOSYS=1)
environment, this is trivial.

3. Create an lwipopts.h for your port. Some is straight-forward; some
is tricky even though the file is not large. It requires you to make
choices about several things that you probably don't know enough about
to make competent choices (at least that was the case for me when I
started); you may need to ask questions on the list about this.

4. Create a driver for your network adapter. This is very
device-specific and probably a pretty large task, especially if you're
starting from nothing.  This needs to:
  A. Find and initialize the adapter and get it ready for operation
(probably prime it with buffers to receive into).
  B. Pull received frames from your network adapter and place each
into an LWIP pbuf, then pass those up the stack into LWIP
  C. Provide an entry point for LWIP that can take a frame contained
within a pbuf and transmit it to your network adapter.

5. Call LWIP init function, add your driver above as a netif under LWIP.

6. Create your main loop that essentially polls your driver, and
periodically calls the LWIP housekeeping function.

I've attached a sanitized version of my LWIP port files in case it's
helpful as a model.  Note that my system has gobs of memory available
and the LWIP performance is not critical so my lwipopts.h settings are
likely completely unsuitable for you.

Jeff