m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] About lsymbol.mim

From: K. Handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] About lsymbol.mim
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 22:04:37 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)
<address@hidden> writes:

> > I've udpated hi-optitransv2, but not yet kn-optitransv2, because the
> > latter removed "/." but not added "./".  It it intentional to remove
> > the map for inputing "॰"?
> >
> Ah  - good catch - re-added.

Ok, I've just committed it.

> ​Now the question arises, how do we identified these frequently used
> symbols.​ There are several sources (all of which have to be considered):
> * Statistics available online. Example
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/262594751/SwiftKey-Emoji-Report (guardian
> highlight
> <http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/apr/22/smile-happy-faces-are-top-emoji-choice>)
> and http://emojitracker.com/ . Although, this is biased towards populations
> who are already tech savvy + have the time to type emojis easily and does
> not give as much weight to people who are just beginning to use IM/ digital
> communication.
> * There are other indications of popularity - such as other products (say
> MS Office or Facebook or Google Hangouts, who would presumably have adapted
> towards user expectations) providing shortcuts for these emoji-s.
> * ​To compensate for these, there's my daily observation of symbols and
> sentiments in my many interactions on Whatsapp (examples from today -
> http://i.imgur.com/uiHGjuS.png http://i.imgur.com/lGsv638.png), Facebook,
> other IM-s.

> If you're ok with the above, we could include these criteria in a comment
> in the ​lsymbol.mim file. 🙏

Thank you for the explanation.  I agree that including hearts, hands,
faces is a good idea.  It seems difficult to decide how many symbols for
each category to include and what key to assign.  So, how about the
attached idea?  With that, when you type, for instance, "/:)", 5
face symbols are shown and you can select one of them by typing
1,2,3,... "/||" are for hand-gestures.

---
K. Handa
address@hidden