Re: device stuff - cvs

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: device stuff - cvs
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 23:36:22 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

I'm going to holiday on monday for 14 days, so i hope everything
will be OK and new monit release will be ready :)

We'll try to manage and release something before you get back, but we
will miss you!
I look forward to check out the device stuff, (I haven't got around to
it yet, but I'll check out your patch later this evening). I agree
with your previous mail where you state, INCOMPATIBLE CHANGES IN
COMPARISION WITH MONIT <= 3.x:. and changing the CHECK-statement to

CHECK {DEVICE|DIRECTORY|FILE|PROCESS} service_name PATH /depends/on/context

this is fine. But I hope that we can avoid breaking backward
compability and still use

CHECK service_name PATH /depends/on/context

for ordinary processes. I'll try to check out if it's possible to do
some grammar stunts in the parser when I look at the patch.

Its done now (100% backward compatibility kept).

I'm going holiday in few hours - i'm sorry i didn't managed to finish all stuff i wanted to do. Remaining items:

- *BSD + HPUX + AIX + MACOSX port. Maybe it will work on some of these architectures nut it is tested just on Solaris and Linux. Filesystem stuff will be probably non functional on *BSD which has different interface. This should be done before we release 4.0.

- size test for files and directories - it is not critical, we can add it after 4.0

- owner (uid) and group (gid) test for files and directories - it is not critical, we can add it after 4.0

I though yet about one topic - it is possible to consolidate syntax of resource checks with syntax of device style, for example:

"if cpuusage is greater than 60.0 for 2 cycles then alert" -> "if cpu usage > 60 % for 2 cycles then alert"

"if memkbyte > 100000.0 for 5 cycles then stop" -> "if memory usage > 100 MB for 5 cycles then stop"

"if memusage > 10.0 for 5 cycles then stop" -> "if memory usage > 10 % for 5 cycles then stop"

It is probably more simple i think (it is sufficient to have just 'cpu' and 'mem(ory)' statements instead of present 'cpuusage', 'memkbyte' and 'memusage'). What about it?

I'll be back on 20.6. - i'm not sure wheter i'll have internet connection (i plan to do some trips and let the work sleep :)

Cheers,
Martin