Re: device stuff - cvs

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: device stuff - cvs
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:40:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:

(...)

> One question, what does this mean :) Does it mean that if a process
> has e.g. more than X children then -> action?

Yep... something like software birth control. (-: As well as too much
memory consumption, too many instances can cause a lot of trouble on a
system.

> > IF TOTALMEM(ORY) <operator> <int|real> <unit|%> [<int>] <action>
> >
> > the old syntax is still available but you get a warning that it is
> > obsolete.
> >
> > If its okay I can sync it... what about the others?
>
> Yes, please, do sync. I thought I should wait until last to add my
> stuff (alert command, timestamp extension) and then run a QA on the
> codebase before preparing a release. (For instance the code does not
> compile on my RH7.3 after Martin's major patch :).

Sure!

> > We can leave the old syntaxes till 4.0.
>
> The next release, that is, this release _is_ going to be 4.0. At least
> I think we agreed upon this, didn't we?  Since it contains a whole new
> functionality branch with device check++ and language
> changes/extensions[1].

Maybe I have missed something. (-:  Because I always read 3.3 in the
docs.

> Anyway, I think it should be possible to deprecate the current
> resource syntax for this release already because this particularry
> change is slight. Simply add the same deprecation code to the parser
> like we have done with for instance autostart:
>
> autostart       : AUTOSTART {
>                     YERROR("Warning: 'autostart' is deprecated - "
>                          "use the 'mode' statement instead");
>                   }
>                 ;

That's not a "warning"... warnings are usually non fatal.  You should say
error!

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113