Re: device stuff - cvs

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: device stuff - cvs
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:03:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Please make *usage* a noise keyword so it's possible to say:
>
> IF MEM(ORY) usage <operator> ..
> IF CPU usage <operator> ..

It is already.... you see that we should really think about tidying
up!

> We step up one version number in the CHANGES.txt and configure.ac
> during development, but if you look in Martin's latest checkin for
> these files they use 4.0. It may be that Martin and I just assumed
> that the next release was going to be 4.0, but I think we agreed upon
> this before :)

When I have touched CHANGES.txt lately I saw it.

> > > Anyway, I think it should be possible to deprecate the current
> > > resource syntax for this release already because this particularry
> > > change is slight. Simply add the same deprecation code to the parser
> > > like we have done with for instance autostart:
> > >
> > > autostart       : AUTOSTART {
> > >                     YERROR("Warning: 'autostart' is deprecated - "
> > >                      "use the 'mode' statement instead");
> > >                   }
> > >                 ;
> >
> > That's not a "warning"... warnings are usually non fatal.  You should say
> > error!
>
> Errors should be reserved for stopping monit after parsing. I think
> that using a statement without any effect is a warning because monit
> may and should run. But using the word 'deprecated' is probably
> unfortunate since the user may think that the statement has effect but
> that he is recomended to use the new statement version. This is how
> "deprecated" is used in e.g. Java, i.e. using a deprecated
> method/class/whatever still works. In our case we should use the word
> 'defunct' instead so the user knows that the statement has ceased to
> exist. What do you think?

Let say obsolete!

The syntax is not available anymore! That means monit wont parse it
successfully, anymore.  Thus, it is an error... IHMO.

CHopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113