Re: total memory of children processes

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: total memory of children processes
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:31:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

Good Morning!

> Total memory of children processes seems miscalculated:
> Event: total mem amount of 12193680kB matches resource limit [total mem
> amount>512001kB]

Congratultions that you machine has actually 12GB of ram. (-|

> ok but this machine has only 512MB ram and 2GB of swap.
>
> The problem seems be that only rss (resident set size) value is used. rss also
> includes memory shared between processes.

That's unfortunately the easiest to port.... bad excuse, or?

> IMO algoritm to calculate total mem amount should looke like:
>
> rss of parent + (rss of first child - shared mem, rss of second chold - shared
> mem and so on). It's still not perfect because we don't know between which
> processes that memory is shared but it's much better than adding whole rss.

It is the best to add up text+data for each process and ignore shared mem.
That might be a little bit less then the actual one but it is more
complicated to find out which process maps this memory bank too.  Furthermore
if a process maps off memory addresses (e.g. gfx cards) if would
accumulate to your process mem too.

CHopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113