Re: darwin works with small tweak

From: Rick Robino
Subject: Re: darwin works with small tweak
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:48:36 -0700

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 04:30:42AM +0200, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
> > latest cvs I get an error somewhere else so I can't actually test
> > the end result.  FWIW, here is my current error:
> >
> > gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -DREENTRANT -no-cpp-precomp -DNEED_SOCKLEN_T_DEFINED
> > -DDARWIN  -I. -I./device -I./http -I./process -I./protocols http/engine.c
> > -o http/engine.o
> > http/engine.c: In function `socket_producer':
> > http/engine.c:462: storage size of `fds' isn't known
> > http/engine.c:466: `POLLIN' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > http/engine.c:466: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > http/engine.c:466: for each function it appears in.)
> > http/engine.c:466: `POLLPRI' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > http/engine.c:470: warning: implicit declaration of function `poll'
> > http/engine.c:462: warning: unused variable `fds'
> > make: *** [http/engine.o] Error 1
>
> Oh no, just what I feared. Could you try to search your system for
> poll.h (try for instance 'man poll' first), if you can find it,
> include this header in http/engine.c and hopefully it will work.
>
> If you do not have poll on your system, does this mean that poll()
> does not exist on Mac OS X or only that you have not installed it?

I think poll is a SysV thing - I know Solaris really pushes using
poll over select.  Darwin doesn't have it, but there is a 3rd party
library that looks like it wraps select.  The homepage seems to
confirm the lack of poll.h on BSD's in general:

        http://www.clapper.org/software/poll/

Looks like a BSD style license.

--
Rick Robino