Re: [Monotone-devel] CVS import part VIII

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] CVS import part VIII
Date: 24 Nov 2003 11:56:33 -0500

Jeremy Fitzhardinge <address@hidden> writes:

> It all seems to be working OK, and the chunked upload to the http server
> looks good.

that's great to hear, thanks for the persistence.

> However, post is taking a very long time, and from using --verbose, it
> seems that most of the time is going into the "db.execute("DELETE FROM
> posting_queue WHERE ...")" operation.  I wonder if the database schema
> needs another index for this delete, or is it just a slow operation?
> The db.fetch() calls seem to happen instantly, whereas the deletes are
> taking about .5 seconds each (and I have about 17000 chunks).  There's
> very little network or disk I/O during this.

oh, that's unfortunate. hm. indexing probably isn't the right thing to
do (it'd be on packet bodies, which are kinda big); I've just posted a
quick fix which uses a LIMIT-ed queue query followed by an OID-based
delete, which might speed things up a bit. want to give that a try? it
only requires you to rebuild, not re-queue anything. doesn't alter the
database.

-graydon